Heilbronn 1751 - 1818 Vienna
It was not until his apprenticeship with Adam Friedrich Oeser in Leipzig that Füger decided to pursue an artistic career, after having studied law in Halle. He moved to Dresden and then to Vienna in 1774, where he was soon carrying out commissions for the imperial court. His work initially centred on miniature painting, mainly portraiture. He then carried this over to monumental format.
His stay of several years in Rome and Naples from 1776 onwards was taken up with the study of classical antiquity and the Renaissance. In Italy he met Anton Raphael Mengs and notably Jacques-Louis David, who had a profound influence on his stylistic development.
In 1783 he returned to Vienna and assumed the post of Director of the Academy of Fine Arts, which today houses the major part of his oeuvre. The last stage of his career began in 1806 with his appointment as Director of the Imperial Picture Gallery.
Füger also distinguished himself as a historical painter and one of the pioneers of Classicism in Austria.