near Windisch-Matrei 1718 - 1788 Passau
Josef Bergler first studied sculpture in a workshop in Lienz and then moved to Joseph Anton Pfaffinger’s studio in Salzburg. After joining the Vienna Academy, he won first prize in the sculpture class in 1750 and thus also unrestricted freedom of settlement in the Habsburg patrimonial dominions. He became court sculptor to the Bishop of Gurk, Joseph Maria Graf Thun–Hohenstein, and also followed him to Passau in 1761. He created a series of monuments for Passau Cathedral and also worked on the interior sculptures and decorations of the newly-established prince archbishop’s residence.